email | 408-627-9449
LIVING IN A GREEN HOUSEWe build homes using the latest in sustainable techniques and using high-quality design and materials that conserves energy and resources and promotes health. We cover about 500 aspects of design and construction to achieve that. Energy modeling and Passive Solar are integral part of the detailed design process. The custom design of YS Development, coupled with their low-maintenance materials and systems mean you’ll get a home that fits wonderfully your life style and aesthetics while saving time and money for more interesting pursuits than house maintenance and bill paying.
What do we mean by “green”?
Building green is responsible to the environment, responsible to our communities, and responsible to the health of the people who live and work in those buildings. YS Development residences are built to the standards of 5-Star BUILT GREEN® and ENERGY STAR HOME.
Built Green is an environmentally-friendly, non-profit, residential building program which is dedicated to promote environmentally friendly home building methods and practices, enforces us to build your house in the highest building standards. The main “green” features and building practices promoted in the Built Green program are: Energy Efficiency, Indoor Air quality, Conserving Natural Resources and Water Quality. So it saves you money, it is healthier and you help the environment.
What are the specific “green” features, why we wanted to build you a "green" house and why you should live in one?
1. Energy Conservation – Our homes are certified ENERGY STAR HOME, but actually exceeds it to provide above 50% energy efficiency. Your house will be at least twice as efficient as the standard house, it will consume less electricity, and less water while giving you the same capabilities and functions, and allows you to do less job of maintenance on your house. How did we do that?
- High Efficiency Furnace and Tank-less Water Heater - in addition to using less energy to operate, energy-efficient heating and cooling systems can be quieter, reduce indoor humidity, and improve the overall comfort of the home. When properly installed into a tightly sealed home, this equipment won't have to work so hard to heat and cool the home.
- Our houses are built using Advanced Framing Techniques - Advanced framing is a technique used to help reduce lumber waste by up to 30% and increase energy savings by up to 4%. The houses structure is also stronger than usual and will last longer.
- High-Performance Windows by ANDERSEN and ZECH - super Energy-efficient windows employ advanced technologies, such as protective coatings and improved frames, to help keep heat in during winter and out during summer. These windows also block ultraviolet sunlight that can discolor carpets and furnishings.
- Our houses are equipped with ENERGY STAR qualified products - lighting fixtures, compact fluorescent bulbs, PANASONIC ventilation fans, and appliances, such as LIEBHERR refrigerator, MIELE dishwasher, and washing machines, which are as energy efficient as possible.
- Effective and above code Insulation - Properly installed and inspected insulation in floors, walls, and attics ensures even temperatures throughout the house, reduced energy use, and increased comfort.
- Low-flow Plumbing Fixtures - such as Dual flush toilets by TOTO, faucets and bath fixtures by HANSGROHE, which conserve water.
- Our houses are wired to be “Solar Ready” - Solar PV conduits installed in every house).
- Environmentally-friendly paints and materials: low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), low-toxic, solvent-free and lead-free materials - interior paints, finish, floors, insulation, adhesives, siding and other produced to reduce toxins ordinarily associated with such products. This helps to improve the overall indoor air quality of the home.
- Our houses are designed for natural ventilation and maximum daylight - Natural ventilation limits the need for costly duct work which can accumulate contaminants as well as the need for mechanical cooling. We used bright colors so your house stays cool during summer and we oriented the house toward south so you will have enough sun during winter.
- Italian Kitchen cabinets using Ecological Panel, are made of represents the lowest emission in the world. Made from 100% post-consumption wooden material, FSC certified (Forest Stewardship Council) and with the absolute lowest formaldehyde emissions.
- Whole-home air filtering system and fresh-air intake combined with whole house fan and ceiling-fan assures the highest indoor air quality.
- Low-formaldehyde insulation, Eco-Batts and natural spray foam are used to insulate our houses.
- Green Seal Carpet - using low-pile or less allergen-attracting carpet and pad can greatly improve indoor air quality. Installing carpeting by tacking rather than using glue also reduces air pollutants. We use natural fiber wool carpets that improve air quality.
- Tight Construction and Ducts - Sealing holes and cracks in the home's "envelope" and in heating and cooling duct systems helps reduce drafts, moisture, dust, pollen, and noise. A tightly sealed home improves comfort and indoor air quality while reducing utility and maintenance.
- Recycle - we recycled everything we could during construction, our houses also feature products such as Italian tiles that are made with recyclable materials.
- Metal Roofing and Siding - durable with over 50 years of warranty, sustainable recyclable and is energy efficient.
- Long-lasting Siding - our houses exteriors are clad with long-lasting, asbestos-free, low-maintenance, and highly sustainable cement fiber board (and when available, reclaimed and refinished wood siding).
- Green roof system specifically designed to grow plants on a rooftop environment. Beautiful, low-maintenance and healthy, they also help reduce urban heat island effect, reduce noise, and helps with Water Conservation/Reduction of Storm Water Runoff.
- Rapidly Renewable Resource - our houses contain finish materials such as FSC certified wood, bamboo and cork that are rapidly renewable resource. Our houses feature the HUMABUILT Wheatcore™ Door which is a premium grade door made from rapidly renewable resource cores and the finest MONTIGO Gas Fireplaces - we installed only gas fired fireplaces, no wood burn fire places.
- Trees - we saved as many trees on your lot as we could, and we used no endanger timber in construction. For example the Atlas Spruce in front of our Kirkland homes is a landmark tree (50” in diameter it worth by itself $53,000)!
- Low impact Development - no pollutants in our building products and tools. We are doing everything that we could to limit the disturbance that is made by building your home.
© 2009 YS Development | site